The Green Room - Return to Listing
The Green Room
Although intended by architect James Hoban to be the Common Dining Room, the Green Room has served many purposes since the White House was first occupied in 1800. The inventory of February 1801 indicates that it was first used as a Lodging Room. Thomas Jefferson, the second occupant of the White House, used it as a dining room with a canvas floor cloth, painted green, foreshadowing the present color scheme. James Madison made it a sitting room since his Cabinet met in the East Room next door, and the Monroes used it as the Card Room with two tables for the whist players among their guests.